Friday, June 25, 2010

Grey...errr...Red Hunters

This week I painted my first unit of Grey Hunters. They're finished, aside from the basing (I'm waiting for a bag of snow to arrive at my favorite local game store). This is still a painfully slow process, but I feel like I'm getting a grasp on the basics of miniature painting. I still have a lot to learn, but there's a lot that transfers between painting 2D illustrations and painting inch-high army men.

The Full Pack

Grey Hunters with Power Fist, Wolf Banner (with the pack's marking),
& Mark of the Wulfen (indicated by silver armor)


Grey Hunters with Bolters


Grey Hunters with Meltagun, Plasma Pistol/Chainsword,
& Meltagun


Based on the feedback I received on my previous minis, I made a few changes to my approach. On the red areas, I toned down the highlights and used an orange mix instead of white. Basically I just switched Diarylide Yellow for Titanium White when I was mixing the highlights. The result is warmer, subtler and much less pink. Instead of drybrushing the metal areas, I painted a full base coat and used washes to bring out the recesses and highlights.

Many of the black lines on these models were made with technical pens rather than paintbrushes. I had some concern that the ink would run when exposed to the varnish, but it held up beautifully. In my 2D work I don't like using paintbrushes for line work, so it was nice to see that I have some alternatives. The pens in this project were disposable Sakura Micron pens with plastic nibs (diameters 01 and 005). In the future, I may try some of my refillable metal-nibbed pens, so I can use a wider range of inks and paints.

How do I feel about these minis? Great! I made dozens of mistakes. There are four or five redos hiding under some of that paint. But heavily diluted Carbon Black levels beautifully and can cover up a lot of faults. There are also some areas that would look better with a little cleanup. I may go back go back to them later, but for now I'm going to move on.

The camera I used in my previous posts is on vacation in Sedona. So I took these photos with a much older point-and-shoot camera (a Nikon CoolPix 4300 from 2001). I'm very satisfied with the results, although the exposure is a little dark. Before I take more pictures, I'll track down the instructions and figure out how to make adjustments.

Next up: more Fire Giants/Space Wolves. I have two Rhinos, a squad of Long Fangs and another squad of Grey Hunters assembled and ready for priming. Before I make a decision, I'm going to sleep on it.
blog comments powered by Disqus