Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Very Messy Orks, Pt. 03


The first mob of Slugga Boyz is done! 30 models down, 120 to go.

This was my first try applying and weathering waterslide transfers. You can see them here, on the rokkit launchers and power klaw.


I have mixed feelings about these models. The decals blend in very well with the finished model but the weathering feels overdone. There are so many scratches and rust spots, that they overwhelm the detail. In the future, I'd like to be a little more discerning.

I also should rinse and reload my brush a little more often, especially when drybrushing. There's a point where the paint is nearly dry. It still sticks to the model, but it comes off the brush in ragged clumps. On a two dimensional surface, like a canvas or board, the result looks a lot like sandpaper. On a model, it clogs up the detail, instead of bringing out the edges.

Although they're not perfect, these models work well enough that I don't think I'll go back and fix them. The errors aren't glaring, and I still have more than 100 models to perfect my approach.
blog comments powered by Disqus