Thursday, December 30, 2010

Man-o-war Shock Troopers


I mentioned these handsome fellas in my Warmachine first impressions post last week. But it took several days before free time and sunny weather aligned long enough for me to post some photographs. Looking at the images, I see it took so long to take a few pictures that the miniatures have already acquired a thin layer of dust. Of course, this is Arizona, where "dusty" is the unofficial state color. But c'mon, self, you can do better than that.

The colors here are the same ones I used on the Khador warjacks: Cryx Bane Highlight (P3) for the greys, Boltgun Metal & Chainmail (Citadel) for the metals, Pyrrole Red (Golden Fluid Acrylics) for the reds, and Raw Umber & Ivory Black (Utrecht Artist Colors) for the oil & solvent washes. The bases are drybrushed with a mixture of Cryx Bane Base (P3) and Titanium White (DaVinci Fluid Acrylic).


The snow is the same magical mixture of flocking and PVA glue that I used on my previous Khador minis. As a transplanted Midwesterner, I used to dread this kind of snow. It looks clean and white and fluffy, but a few weeks of slow thaws and nightly refreezes have turned it into nature's own version of Russian Roulette. Until you step on it, you don't know if you're going to hear the "Krunch! Squeak!" of nicely frozen snow, or if you're going to sink ankle-deep into a hidden puddle of slushy water, or slip on a patch of ice. It's the perfect base decoration for Hell-on-Earth black-powder wargaming.

Next up: Druids of Orboros. It's time to test out my other Warmachine/Hordes army.
blog comments powered by Disqus